54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

This Is Not a Test

This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers is a zombie story. You guys should know me well enough by now to know that I’m a sucker for most anything zombie related. The sheer number of zombie stories I already have queued up on my reader (that aren’t even part of our October reads list) is a little intimidating. I was a bit nervous about a YA zombie story, though. How could it possibly be scary enough?Um, it totally was. While there were SOME fighting, killing and gross-out moments, they weren’t on the front burner at all. This is Not a Test is the story of six teenagers holed up in their high school after…something happened that turned most of their town into flesh feasting undead. We never find out what it was because the characters we follow never found out what it was.Sloane (our protagonist) was on the verge of suicide before the zombpocalypse hit. She’s grown up with just her abusive father and her sister. Shortly before the story begins, her sister got tired of waiting for Sloane to turn 18, so she took off – leaving Sloane to face daddy dearest on her own. It’s a bad situation to be in, so when the zombies start coming, Sloane takes her chance to escape.Really, the zombie apocalypse is the perfect place for a suicidal teen, right? She goes out of her way to “protect” the others, hoping all the while that the choice will be made for her.This is Not a Test was…not fantastic, but very solid. I realize it’s kind of difficult to escape clichés and tropes when writing about such well-worn roads as what happens when the zombies come, but for the most part I found it to be incredibly fresh and a worthwhile read. If you’re at all into zombie fiction, I’d recommend you pick this one up.