54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, Book 1)

Married With Zombies - Jesse Petersen Originally posted here.Sometimes I read a book that makes me think "Hey, really?  Maybe if people like this, they'll like the stories I have in MY head."Because Jesse Petersen's Married With Zombies feels kind of like it could have come from my own brain, so I'm a little pissed I didn't write it first.  No, it's not perfect, and it really could have used a bit more editing but it's FUN, DAMNIT.Sarah and Dave are on the verge of divorce and one day they walk in on their marriage counsellor eating the faces of the previous couple/patients.Where were you when the zombpocalypse struck?  I think if your answer is "Well, I was trying to fix my marriage, and had to shove a stiletto through the eye of a paid professional just to save myself and my wife..." your marriage just might make it.What I loved about the couple we follow through the first few days of a viral outbreak in and around Seattle was how much they reminded me of my husband and myself.No, we're not on the verge of divorce, but if you don't know us and you heard the way we talk to each other, there's a very good chance you might think fisticuffs were about to break out.Because we're snarky and snippy and we don't take a whole lot seriously.  Because Sarah and Dave are the same way, I found them entirely relatable [goddamnit, spellcheck, that IS TOO A WORD!]...dare I say they even seem like a couple husband and I would hang out with?  Yes, yes I dare.I was a little worried going into this that it was going to be a [gag] romance, but it WAS NOT!  It was a truly funny and engaging story of a couple that just doesn't know if they want to be together anymore, both trying to survive in a situation they were only partially prepared for.Am I going to tell all of you to rush out and buy this book?  No.  Because I think it's definitely not for everyone.  Here's a checklist to see if you might enjoy it.Do you: *Go out of your way to read/watch books/movies about the zombie apocalypse? *Are your children and family members well-versed in methods of zombie disposal SHOULD the zombpocalypse occur within our lifetimes? *Swear a lot? *Think maybe I'm pretty funny and would read a book by an author whose tone is incredibly similar to mine? *Enjoy pop-culture references  in your reading material? *Still find zombies kind of scary (there are a few thrilling moments in this book that had me genuinely spooked)?If you can answer yes to three or more of those questions, then maybe you'd enjoy Married With Zombies.  If not, you should probably skip it because I'm telling you this is NOT THE BOOK FOR YOU.3/5, will definitely read more of the author's work, there are currently three more books in this series, and I'm probably going to start the second as soon as I finish writing this.