54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick Originally posted here as part of the 30 Day Book Challenge.I am having a REALLY HARD TIME with this category.  I already posted a list of Five Book-to-Movie Adaptations I Don't Hate, and the only one I can come up with that probably should have been on the list that didn't make it was High Fidelity, but that's not a FAVOURITE so I don't know.Since that's the case, I'm going to expand on one of those entries, which kind of makes me laugh because I think I've done enough talking about this author recently, but that is just TOO BAD FOR YOU.  You knew I was a snake, bitch.Favourite Book Turned MovieI successfully avoided this movie for five years.  Conversations about it went like this.Friend:   "Hey, sj - have you seen A Scanner Darkly?  Don't you love that book?  Is the movie any good?"Me:  "DKJAF;OLRKEJAWEK, DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT MOVIE!  Keanu Reeves as BOB ARCTOR?!  WINONA RYDER AS DONNA?!?!"Friend:  "Yeah, but - "Me:  "NO!  Do NOT talk to me about that movie.  I want nothing to do with that movie.  NOTHING."For five years.  This is almost exactly the conversation I had more times than I can count.  I'd been burned by terrible PKD adaptations before, y'know?  I mean - as an adult, I even have a hard time watching Blade Runner now (which I used to LOVE) because it makes me so mad, and Ridley Scott just doesn't know how to leave well enough alone...but that is a topic for another day.Anyway (I know I talked about this in the post I linked above, but most of you will be too lazy to click through.  I know you guys.), last fall, I met Kate on subjot (man, I totally miss subjot).  She'd written a review for Clans of the Alphane Moon, which kind of blew my mind.  I mean, that's not a book one reads unless they're a total Dickhead.  Shut up.So anyway, we started talking about PKD and people were actually commenting just so they could follow the conversation.  Really, until I met Kate and Trevor, the people I could discuss his work with (that had read him before they knew me) I could count on one hand.Kate asked if I'd seen A Scanner Darkly, and I'm pretty sure I had a similar reaction to the one I described up there.  I mean, Donna was supposed to be young.  Like, jailbait young.  How the hell did they decide Winona Ryder was appropriate for that role?  HOW, I ASK YOU?Kate essentially told me to STSU and watch it.So I did.  That day.And I loved it.Yes, I have minor quibbles with the way the ending was changed (but Kate actually prefers it, go figure), but really - it's the strongest adaptation of any of his work I've ever seen (and am likely to see, unless they ever snaping release Radio Free Albemuth to somewhere other than a festival I'm not likely to visit since I live in the middle of nowhere).Um...I seem to have lost my train of thought, completely distracted by the fact that there's actually a Philip K Dick Festival that NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL ME ABOUT!So, yeah.  Favourite movie adaptation?  This is it.  Best scene?Click.