54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

Zombicorns (Zombicorns, #1)

Zombicorns (Zombicorns, #1) - John Green This review was originally posted here: http://wp.me/p1Zgyz-bCEff.  Yes.  This came up as a free download a year ago (you can find it here), I downloaded it and then forgot about it.  A few weeks ago, when I was cleaning up my downloads folder I found it again.  I couldn't wait to finish reading the Earth's Children series for Trashy Tuesday so that I could start reading something else, and figured I'd start with this.Remember how disappointed I was that there weren't actually any zombies fighting unicorns when I read Zombies vs Unicorns?  I thought for sure this novella would make up for that with the most awesome thing ever imagined - the zombie unicorn.  Imagine my complete and utter disappointment when I notice the following on the cover:Despite being bummed out before I even get to page one, I forge onward because I've already technically started it.  It was less than 100 pages on my reader, so it isn't like I'd be wasting a huge amount of time by continuing.John Green actually created an interesting new take on the zombpocalypse.  We've had countless different ways of explaining why the world has become over-run by legions of the undead (government testing run out of hand, voodoo, aliens, radiation, etc), but I think this is the first time I've read of the plague being spread by corn.  Yes.  Corn.  Ahhhh, the title suddenly makes sense (but I'm still a little sad about the lack of unicorns).The story follows a teenager (Mia) that has managed to keep herself from getting "Z'ed up," even though her family has all succumbed to the virus.  Her dad was the first to go, so she killed him.  She then woke up one morning to find her mother attempting to stuff corn in her mouth, and had to shoot her as well.  It's funny.  The zombies we read about in this story don't hunger for human flesh (though they'll eat it if there are no other options), all they really care about is corn...specifically, growing corn and spreading the zombiecornvirus across the world by proper cultivation.  Once you're Z'ed up, all you care about is making the corn happy...and forcefeeding the corn to those that haven't already been contaminated so that you have help tending your crops.Anyway, even though I could totally go on for at least 1000 more words about this story, I won't.  I'm going to resist the urge to spoil everything and just say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There were some typos and a few spelling errors, but it was free, so I can't complain too much.  Some of the standard YA clichés and zombie tropes come out to play (most notably "you don't want to die a virgin, do you?!"), but it didn't really detract from my enjoyment, surprisingly.   If you're into zombie fiction at all, I think you should give this one a chance.  It's a super quick read and the price is right.Someday, though...someday I won't walk away disappointed, and I'll really get my zombie unicorn.  Someday.