54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

Never Let Me Go (Movie Tie-In Edition) (Vintage International)

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro I was annoyed by this book, but found it thought provoking.Based on the rubric I horked from Mandy at Adventures in Borkdom, this would be a 4.1, but four stars kind of feels like a lie. So do any other ways of quantifying this book, actually.I hated the tangential nature of the story, even though it made sense because that's how our minds work. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've started out telling one story and ended up telling five more before I got to the original point. Usually I'm a bit tipsy when I start doing that, though. Yes, that's exactly what the narration felt like to me. A story I'd tell after a few glasses of wine, but before I finished the bottle. Entertaining, and something that the person I'm talking to might relate to our friends in common in an "omg, sj was all over the place last night!" kind of way.I went this book with a vague understanding of the TWIST that was in store, but I appreciated that the narrative structure allowed us to put the pieces together as the characters did. It wasn't a huge reveal, it was a veil that was pulled aside slowly. I thought that was very well done.I hated Ruth. I couldn't understand why Kathy didn't just ditch her when she had the chance after she was kicked out of that stupid club. I think I liked the way it ended, but I'm still pondering, I haven't decided.Maybe I'll come back and give this a star rating after a second read, but that won't likely be any time soon.