54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray Thoroughly meh.It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. There were times when I thought I could like it, but then it went back to being not so spectacular again.I was annoyed by the footnotes (something I usually love). I had a hard time buying the story as it was laid out.Before starting it, I thought "Heh, like Lord of the Flies meets LOST meets Drop Dead Gorgeous, what's not to like?" Turns out, there's a whole lot.I don't know if I was supposed to figure out that Petra was transgender from the moment she went looking for her suitcase, but I did. I don't know if I was supposed to kind of hate most of the girls, especially after they were all GRRRRRL POWER! but I totally did.The best characters were the fake pirates.No, I'm not explaining it.So while I will normally say for things I won't recommend that this might be for some people, I have no idea who those people would be.Also - while writing this, I remembered that I felt almost exactly the same way about Bray's short story in Zombies vs Unicorns. Shame on me.