54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files

Cold Days - Jim Butcher …I’ve been sitting in front of a blank page for the last 15 minutes, trying to gather my thoughts so that I can tell them to you.I’m failing.Throughout the first 70% of this book I was…not loving it. Which made me sad, because if I don’t love the newest Dresden Files and say when I put it down “No. THIS ONE is my new favourite!” I kind of don’t even know who I am anymore.But I didn’t love it. I loved certain aspects of it, and there were characters coming back that I loved and new characters that made me smile and…THINGS happening that were kind of awesome, but -I don’t know. After the first 4 or 5 chapters, it felt like it just kind of meandered along at breakneck speed for the majority of the book. I am not even sure how that’s possible, but it felt both rushed and draggy at the same time.I guess what I’m saying is that the middle of the book felt like it needed to go through another round or two of re-writes. Were I betaing this book, I’d have had ALL THE NOTES in the margins with lines through things that didn’t belong and demanding more details here and there. But I’m not Mr Butcher’s beta reader, so…yeah.I’ll probably enjoy it more upon subsequent re-reads and when I think back on it after the next one comes out, I’ll like it EVEN MORE, but for now, I’m just a little disappointed that I can’t give it five stars and rave about it.Also, the end (which I did love)? Totally called it at the beginning of the book but I couldn’t TELL ANYONE because none of the rest of you were reading it yet, jerks.Can we stop pressuring our favourite authors to write faster? I don’t want to ever feel like I’m giving a series I love a pity half star again just so it doesn’t bring my average for the series as a whole down.Honestly, 3 stars, but with the pity half 3.5. Rounding up to 4.Oh, and I hate this cover.Originally posted here.