54 ers
16 ees
sj

sj

Don't look at me, I'm hideous right now.

By which I mean this page.  Srsly, don't look at it until I have it all fixed.

Until then, you can read my regular blog here.

I was/am also sj on goodreads.

The Mad Scientist's Daughter

The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke Originally posted here."Ugh, Amy.  This book is a ROMANCE.  I did not KNOW it was a romance when I started reading it.  I DON'T LIKE ROMANCES!"That's a paraphrasing of an email I sent when I was about a quarter of the way through Cassandra Rose Clarke's The Mad Scientist's Daughter.I've talked before about how I'm not a big fan of romances (like real romance, not the ridiculous PNR stuff that is closer to erotica than romance, and anyone who thinks it's truly romance is effing delusional) in the books that I read, so I was really disappointed to find that this book was less about the Mad Scientist's Daughter's Android Tutor (which is what the blurb would have you believe) and more about...relationships.Wow, that's a lot of parenthetical asides, even for me.So, since I like it when Heather D. reads my reviews, I'm trying really hard not to wade into spoiler territory here, which makes this difficult to write.It's not only difficult to write because I don't want to spoil things for any of you, but because I'm kind of still in the process of digesting the things I read.I wanted to like this book when I requested the eGalley, then I DIDN'T want to like it when I discovered it was more romance than sf, and then I grudgingly found myself falling in love with the story.I never say that things are beautifully written, but this book was.I rarely weep while reading, but this book made me ugly cry more than once.I don't generally rate books that I found to be triggery so high, but here this one is with more than 4 stars (4.4/5 according to Mandy's review rubric).Sorry for being so vague, but this is one I'd like you all to discover for yourselves.The Mad Scientist's Daughter will be available in print (US and Canada) and ebook (everywhere) January 29th.  The UK print version drops February 7th.  You can find more information (along with how to pre-order) over at Angry Robot.Thanks to Angry Robot for the review galley.  This book was exactly what I needed this week, even if I didn't know it when I started reading.